Monday, March 3, 2008

A Surprise Baby Shower for the Baby in the City!

Wow, let me begin by saying no one has ever really gotten away with surprising me. As "B" would say, "You must not know 'bout me, you must not know 'bout me...I can crack a pass code in a minute, got locks on cellphones I gets in it!" LOL! Okay, I am inch-high private eye, head detective, inspector gadget, etc. When I moved up to NYC, my mom, dad, cousins and friends planned a surprise going away party and my co-worker accidentally slipped and said, "I'll see you this weekend!" I'm thinking....Now, why/how would she see me this weekend and that was it...my radar went off. They must have had something planned. But this baby shower, I had NO IDEA about it...none whatsoever.

I was oh so excited that my mother and my sister were coming up to visit and that my mom and I were going to see "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof". I looked the play up on line, checked out the start time & the theatre and told all of y'all that I was going. Hmmmmmmmmm...you got me!


So this NYC - Baby in the City Surprise Baby Shower was planned by Aunties Stef, Kristen, Amal and Ashley. It was all sooooo well put together with designs on each martini glass, ribbons on the chair, rose petals on the tables, brown satin boxes with pink bows, friends from every stage of my life that are in NYC (high school, college, work and play) and my Mother & sister. How did you guys do it? I want/demand answers!

We ate good food, played fun games, (everyone else) drank good drinks, had good cake and enjoyed girlie company on a Sunday afternoon on the Lower East Side at a lounge/restaurant called Libation. These girls did it up and produced a baby shower fit for a "Diva in Training", "Baby in the City", "Princess R", "R Boogie" and lastly for a "Sexy Mommy" these were all sayings put on the bibs during the Create-A-Bib contest). The Create-A-Bib contest was won by Mariana, Sarah and Aliease (please correct me if I'm wrong). There was also the Baby contest in which Danielle was very good at grabbing your pin if you said BABY at any point during the shower. And Danee' who came up to NYC even though she had a midterm exam due on Monday morning won the word scramble with words like colic, strollers, diapers and sleepless. And lastly, the Who Knows Mommy Best was won by Lucia who rushed back to the city on Sunday morning to make it to the baby shower because she was down in DC for a bridal shower/engagement party. Oh, and may I add that Lucia and I only recently reconnected (about a month ago...thanks to Lauren) since high school and she got 7.5 questions right. Y'all were slipping.


The shower was a blast and I was extremely surprised. Soooooo surprised that some of you guys said when I walked in looked like I was gonna fight or confused. Really, I just didn't get it, I even asked, "What is this for?" I mean I can hardly believe that I'm pregnant so a baby shower was the farthest thing from my mind. I even asked my Mom, "What are we gonna do about the tix to the play?" She laughed and said that was all apart of it. Well, ladies again I must thank you...It's been so long since I've hung with all of you guys I tend to forget the support system that is here in NEW YORK. I am very appreciative. This was wonderful and I will never forget it. This was fantastic and I recognize the effort from each of you whether it was time, money, showing up (Crystal, Aisha, Griselda, Jennifer, Sunne), calling the week before to tell me ab your wknd plans and how you wouldn't be in town (which now I get), helping to wipe my tears when I was hysterically crying & reminding me there were pics being taken when I finally figured out what was going on (Chana) or riding up from DC....you are all appreciated.

I can't wait to put all the Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, Guess, Uggs, Big Buckle belts, onesies, socks, blankets, bonnets, gift cards, stationary, headrest, photo albums, video baby monitor, books, and everything else to good use. Oh, and the charm bracelet from the committee was put on during the shower...I love all of the noise it makes and the pink jewel on the bootie.

Again I say THANK YOU soooo much! It was absolutely FABULOUS!


Love you all very much!
Mommy R or (as my sash said Mocha Mom to Be)